Monday, July 23, 2012

Sunday, July 22 ... THAT kind of mom

A few months ago Chris admitted to me that he never thought he'd be the kind of parent who made his own baby food. I felt the same way, and I've heard that from a lot of parents. "I didn't want to be THAT kind of mom", they say in a whisper. I had an example of that this weekend.

Rowan brought home his first piece of artwork a few days ago. I was SO PROUD!!! 15 months old and already painting!!! hee hee

7-19-12

Anyway, I realized that we didn't have any paints or anything, so on Friday I decided I would stop on the way home and get some. I started looking, and I got a "ewwws" when thinking about him putting any kind of paint in his mouth (which I KNEW he would do). I started looking for toddler-friendly, non-toxic paints. While looking however, I started thinking -- if i KNEW he was going to put it in his mouth, and I already felt uncomfortable with all the ingredients in Crayola, why am I trying to find Crayola that works. What do I always say? ...

... I can just make that!!!!

A quick googly search (and an even quicker Pinterest search) found several recipes for home-made finger paints. Brilliant. I chose the one made of corn starch and sugar, both ingredient I had in the cabinet. It worked so well!

IMG_1301

The next morning we tried painting. And by painting I mean he took it and rubbed it all over his body. And because it was made of corn starch, I was totally cool with it. I was all, "You go, Rowan. You make that performance art! It doesn't matter if it gets on the paper! Way to think outside the box!"

Finger Painting

Finger Painting

I also made play dough. Yup, THAT mom.

IMG_1303

This time he actually played with it.

Play Dough

Play Dough

Bravo to me. I gave my kid the opportunity to be artsy without poisoning him! YEA!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment