Sunday, December 4, 2011

Baby Food!

So it turns out that Mr. Rowan loves food. I mean LOVES food! He does this little dance, this little shimmy, whenever I go to hand him a cracker. The daycare had been bugging me to start sending him with real food, hoping that it might help him sleep better during the day. I have a feeling they don't understand the whole Breastmilk = real food, but that's not a battle I feel like having with them. However, because one of the things I love about breastfeeding is that I know exactly what's in his food, I decided to make my own baby food.
(BTW, I NEVER thought I'd be one of those people who made their own baby food. Crazy stay-at-home moms with too much time on their hands, I had thought. Sorry, mommas, I take it back.)

OK! Let's go!

Step 1: go crazy at the market buying all sorts of fruits and veggies. On today's list:
- Butternut Squash
- Sweet Potatoes
- Apples
- Pears
- Carrots

Baby Food!

Step 2: Cook. Roasted the squash, and boiled everything else.

Baby Food!

Baby Food!

Baby Food!

Step 3: Puree in the blender or food processor. I also added a little cinnamon to the applesauce and nutmeg in the squash.

Baby Food!

Baby Food!

Step 4: Pour puree into ice cube trays and freeze.

Baby Food!

Step 5: When frozen, put cubes into freezer bags and store in the freezer.

Baby Food!

Step 6: At the beginning of each week, put a cube in a snack container and store in the fridge for each grab and go!

Baby Food!

At home, just grab from the freezer and microwave for about 20-30 seconds, just enough to melt but not to heat too much (don't want any hot spots. Ouch!)

Result? Yummy fruit and veggies, no other preservatives or chemicals, and food that the daycare considers legit.


No comments:

Post a Comment